2013 Class S1-08 GROUP A RESEARCH JUSTIFICATION
YEAR ONE INTERDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH STUDIES
Research Topic: Sustainability
Chosen Area of Focus: The impact of cleanliness on sst student's concentration in learning
- Framing our research topic. Our chosen area of focus is “The impact of cleanliness on SST students concentration learning”. We have chosen this topic as we notice that the school is rather dirty, especially after sporting in the field. This is usually caused by the black rubber in the field getting stuck in one’s shoes, and because students are too lazy to clear the black rubber in the field, they just randomly clear them wherever they like.There are also litter scattered randomly around the field and school and sometimes the cleaners cannot possibly clean finish the litter and black rubber. Studies have shown that school cleanliness affects the learning of students and therefore, we think that it is important we look into this problem and reinforce the importance of cleanliness .
a) Possible reasons for this problem is that people are too lazy to throw their litter in the dustbin, don't care, expecting others to pick it up, not aware they are littering. One thing research has proven is that it is tough to label an individual as a “litterer.” One may litter in certain situations, but not in another. Littering is not a consistent behavior. Individuals can be influenced by a number of factors, including a belief that an item is not litter (such as a cigarette butt or banana peel).
Reasons for choice of topic
- We have chosen this topic, as a recent national study of college students has revealed a correlation between the cleanliness of a school’s facilities and students’ academic achievement.The research showed that the lack of cleanness becomes a distraction to the students who are studying and also have an impact on their health as lack of cleanliness affects allergies, spreads germs, increases bug and rodent infestations, and promotes higher stress levels. Also,cleanliness ranked as the fourth most important building element to impact the students’ personal learning.
- This allows us to fulfil the requirements of the project task as the project task looks at
- the cleanness of the school and how it will have an impact on the student’s personal learning .
- This topic benefits society as students will be able to concentrate more in classes where there is a clean enviroment
Feasibility of the research
- There is a need for our research, as many parts of our school gets dirty at the end of the day and the cleaner always have a hard time cleaning. Hence, our research can help to make the cleaner’s job easier.
- It is possible to carry out and complete the project, as there are many cleaners in the school that we can interact with.
- The research provides enough opportunity for idea generation, as we will constantly have to think of ways to do some things in the project. We will also have many opportunities to analyse information and evaluate ideas on how to go about deciding what to do next.
Manageability of the research
- The project will be done as quickly and gingerly as we can. we will also try our best not to go out of point and stay as close to the topic on cleanliness as possible.
- This research provides sufficient opportunity for group work as we will need to discuss a lot of matters regarding the project, for example who will be assigned to do what component of the project and we will have to work together.
- We do expect some difficulties along the way, lack of data. We intend to cope with these difficulties by trying to get the group to go and upload their findings and their part of the project onto a facebook or chat group.
Accessibility of the information required
- Information/knowledge that will be relevant to our research are situations that people litter in and why people litter.
- We will be obtaining this information from primary and secondary sources, depending on which one gives more reliable and useful.
- Some alternatives that we have thought of would be to ask others for information or where can we find the information that we need .Eg:Parents,Teachers,etc
(1)Dianna Bisswurm (June 20, 2008) New studies show school cleanliness affects learning (http://www.issa.com/?id=issa_appa_6_20_8)